UPSC IAS Civil Services Mains Exam Syllabus
UPSC Civil Services IAS Mains syllabus: The IAS Civil Services mains exam comprises 9 theoretical papers including 2 language papers (these 2 papers are qualifying in nature and marks in other seven of those subjective papers are taken into consideration for preparing the final merit list along-with interview marks. The two language papers are qualifying in nature (candidates should note that they have to score at least 25% marks or above to be eligible for selection).
The UPSC mains syllabus for IAS Civil Services Exam is discussed below and candidates can also download the IAS Mains Syllabus in PDF format. Or you can check Official UPSC Notifications for Indian Administrative Service (IAS) Exam. All IAS Aspirants can download UPSC Mains Previous Year Question Papers from here – IAS Civil Services Mains Exam Previous Year Papers!
UPSC IAS Mains Exam Pattern
Check UPSC IAS Mains Exam Pattern: The candidates must note that who score above the cut-off marks (fixed by the commission) in the first stage IAS Prelims Exam will only be eligible for the Civil Services Mains Examination. For your information, let me tell you that only multiple choice questions (objective-type) are asked in Prelims and the questions asked in the IAS Mains exam requires a deeper understanding of the topics due to the subjective type of questions.
UPSC Mains Syllabus Language Papers (Indian language and English)
Check UPSC Civil Services IAS Mains syllabus: Although both these language papers are only qualifying in nature, all the candidates should note that if they fail to score below 25% in either of them, their remaining 7 papers’s answer sheets will not be evaluated. Both the language papers follow a same pattern of questions as given below.
- One essay question for 100 marks – candidates have to select one out of a few given topics
- Reading comprehension and related five-six questions for a total of 60 marks
- Precis writing for 60 marks – the answer sheet will have a separate grid structure where this has to be written
- Translation from English to chosen language for 20 marks
- Translation from chosen language to English for 20 marks
- Grammar and basic language usage such as synonyms, sentence correction etc. for a total of 40 marks
Essay Paper Syllabus
As you know, there is no prescribed syllabus for the essay paper in the UPSC IAS Mains Exam. As per the Union Public Service Commission IAS Notification, “Candidates are expected to keep closely to the subject of the essay to arrange their ideas in an orderly fashion, and to write concisely. Credit will be given for effective and exact expression.” Those Candidates who qualified for civil services mains exam are required to write two essays from a list of given topics by the commission for a combined total of 250 marks.
UPSC Civil Services mains GS Paper 1, 2, 3, 4 Syllabus
Find IAS Mains GS Paper-I, II, III, IV Syllabus, UPSC Civil Services Mains General Studies Papers Syllabus Online on India’s No.1 Education Website – Booksforupsc.com.
- UPSC Civil Services mains GS Paper 1 – General Studies-I : Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society.
- UPSC Civil Services mains GS Paper 2 – General Studies- II: Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations.
- UPSC Civil Services mains GS Paper 3 – General Studies-III: Technology, Economic Development, Bio diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management.
- UPSC Civil Services mains GS Paper 4 – General Studies- IV: Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude.
UPSC IAS Optional Subject Syllabus (Two Papers)
In total, there are 48 optional subjects for upsc ias civil services mains exam, out of these 48 optional subjects, a candidate has to choose one. The table given below contains the names of all the available optional subjects for IAS Mains Exam.
|Agriculture||Animal Husbandry & Vet Science||Anthropology||Manipuri (Literature)|
|Botany||Chemistry||Civil Engineering||Marathi (Literature)|
|Commerce||Economics||Electrical Engineering||Nepali (Literature)|
|Philosophy||Political Science||Psychology||Punjabi (Literature)|
|Public Administration||Physics||Sociology||Sanskrit (Literature)|
|Medical Science||Statistics||Mechanical Engg||Sindhi (Literature)|
|Zoology||Assamese (Literature)||Bengali (Literature)||Tamil (Literature)|
|Bodo (Literature)||Hindi (Literature)||Konkani (Literature)||Telugu (Literature)|
|Dogri (Literature)||Kannada (Literature)||Maithili (Literature)||Urdu (Literature)|
|Gujarati (Literature)||Kashmiri (Literature)||Malayalam (Literature)||English (Literature)|